Saturday, October 15, 2011

Coaching What??

I’m always up for a challenge.

When I was young I’d ride any horse-no matter how insane.

I needed a daughter to complete my family.  I figured out where she was waiting for me and adopted her.

I started martial arts with my boys and became determined to achieve my black belt. After many years and two knee repairs I finally earned it.

I had a goal to be happy after way too many years in a sad marriage. After summoning a mass amount of courage I was able to break free.

I’ve become determined to create a life for myself that supports my views, values, interests and, to be honest, future income needs. I’m still working on that one.  That’s where coaching comes in.

A year ago in December I enrolled in the International Coaching Academy.  Every week I participate in hours to classes with fellow students and instructors located in every part of the world. I have 6 clients and two coaches I have weekly sessions with.  I try to help people who are stuck, unhappy or unmotivated in a part of their life by simply listening closely and asking powerful questions. It’s not therapy, counseling or consulting. It’s having goals or a vision and discovering the best path to make them a reality.

But coaching is still a fairly new concept in the world. When I say I’m studying to be a coach I usually hear “You’ll be great-high school or college?” Truly, no one wants me to coach a sports team. I throw like a girl, catching is sketchy and my brief field hockey career consisted of being yelled at for hitting the little ball with the wrong side of the stick. I can teach someone how to defend themselves, ride a horse or what life was like in a one room school house in 1853 (I have a weird variety of abilities). But coaching a team to score a goal, make a home run or create the best human pyramid is not what I’m going for.

When I was going through my divorce my then husband made me go to counseling. After one session it was very clear I was wasting time. I wasn’t having a mid-life crisis.  I wasn’t confused or struggling with childhood issues or emotional drama. I knew exactly what I wanted. My struggles were simply around the best steps to make it as easy and successful as possible. I needed a coach.

I’m still working on creating the life I want. I certainly feel on the right track. I’m stronger, happier and more confident at this age than any other time in my history. I have fabulous children, a man I adore and the best friends in the world. My goal for the next two years is to add a coaching career to my already amazing job. Thankfully I now have my own coach to help me stay motivated.

So if you’re still confused about what I’m doing, Maya Angelou summed it up brilliantly:
“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.”

And if you’re having trouble doing this on your own, I know of a good coach…..

No comments:

Post a Comment