Monday, October 1, 2012

Falling

I've never been a fan of Fall. I know most of you are. I get it-the weather turns cooler, the leaves change, pumpkins and apple cider...

The one benefit I see? I don't have to shave my legs daily.

What I see is my flowers dying, my trees turning bare, my wardrobe changing and the future bitter Pennsylvania winter that I hate breathing down my neck. I will readily admit that I could be an old person in Florida. Who am I kidding, I'll be a middle aged person in Florida.

And really-the word Fall doesn't send a great message of hope. We fall on our face, we fall of of the horse, we fall out of love, we fall off of the wagon, we fall into depression, fall from grace....none of it sounds like a party.

On a rare occasion can it be positive: we fall in love or we fall asleep.
Both are pleasant distractions in my opinion to the season.

So as the weather turns I dream of warmer climates. I even threatened on Facebook to pack up and go somewhere, anywhere else. The response was an outpouring of friends telling me they need me, love me and would be horrified if I left.

Somehow I fell into such great friends. Even though I hate parts of the area I live I have to love the fact that if I fall, I have a huge support system to pick me back up. I've seen them do it time and again for different members of our small but amazing group.

So if I fall into a winter depression, fall apart physically or simply fall on my face (has happened) they'll help me up, warm me up (wine is preferred) and cheer me up so that I'm able to handle the next fall.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote: The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

I've fallen quite a bit in my life and usually I've relied on myself to get back up. It's fabulous to now have backup.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment