Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Finding Yourself

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
~Henry David Thoreau~

We've all heard the term "finding ourselves."

I'm backpacking through Europe to find myself. I'm going to drop out of school to find myself. I need a break from this relationship to....you get it.

So where are we? Where did we go?

In a way it reminds me of toddlers who feel like just because their hands are covering their eyes they are now invisible.

I do get the concept. I'm going back to school AGAIN. I've decided I'll be that person with a boat load of skills and maybe someone will pay me for one of them. But does that mean I'm lost?

I've been a journalist, a nanny, a farm hand, a riding instructor, a preschool teacher, a museum school teacher, a martial arts instructor, a self defense instructor, and a coach. That doesn't include all of my years as a waitress. My resume is all over the map. I get confused reading it.

I'm adding Vet Tech-possibly large animal-to my resume. Why not? What's two more years of school when I have jobs and kids. What I've come to realize is I don't need another job-I need a career. Preferably one I love.

So what is finding yourself? Is it finding the right job, the right mate, the right lifestyle or hobby?

I'm not sure we ever are satisfied. That's why my dad is learning the banjo in his late 60's. Why my mother started a business last year. I guess that isn't finding yourself as much as keeping life interesting. Finding new things to learn or accomplish keeps our minds sharp, our motivation up, our lives fresh .

So maybe the toddlers have it right. Maybe the next time you feel lost put your hands over your face so no one can see you and think of the first thing that makes you happy. What you would most like to have, do, or be when the world can magically see you again.

Maybe that's where you are.







No comments:

Post a Comment