Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Body Parts

"Despite Everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
~Ann Frank

I've always found that quote extraordinary. I have to wonder if she kept that strong belief until the end.

But what is it to be good at heart? Is that where our goodness lies? I've also heard the idea of a good soul. Or then there is the idea of loving someone heart and soul.

Someone wiser than their years is sometimes called an old soul. As if they inherited a soul from someone else before them.

I guess these expressions have me wondering what about our anatomy makes it easy to combine with emotion or purpose?

Of course there is the idea of men thinking with a certain anatomy when it comes to women (or men depending on what controls that body part).

I get the term "gut reaction" in some sense. In a stressful situation I get a sick feeling immediately in my gut. But sometimes that term is for a simple decision that no gut is involved in. It then just means which choice makes more sense.

I certainly understand a broken heart. I've had my share of being hurt to the point of feeling pain in your chest.
But thankfully it's never truly broken.

And the Grinch idea of your heart swelling in love or happiness. I've felt that when each of my children were born or placed in my arms for the first time. But rather than a true swelling it's just overwhelming love.

Of course there is also having cold feet. A true fear of an event (most often used in regard to marriage) that has nothing at all to do with the actual temperature of your feet. It's just saying you're scared or have doubts.

Stiff upper lip just sounds painful but it's basically refers to not showing emotion. Emotion is a sign of weakness, especially for many men, so hiding that with a stiff upper lip is the brave face (yet another one).

Then of course your heart overflowing with emotion, as if it's a bowl we keep them in.

Or the eyes being the window to the soul. Eyes are great but let's not get crazy!

Or finding someone's Achilles heal (Achilles being the half emortal from Greek mythology whose only death came from having an arrow precisely in a certain part of his heal). So the expression indicates you found someone's weakness or downfall.

Maybe we could make new ones-steadfast as a kidney stone, balanced as a big toe, true as a pinky swear....

This blog is random and silly at best. Sorry about that. But if you have any ideas on body parts combined with emotion please let me know!!

"Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude."
~A.A. Milne, Winnie-the Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment