Sunday, March 9, 2014

Believe?

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
~Audrey Hepburn

What we believe about life says a lot about us. Do we believe in a religion, an afterlife, reincarnation, evolution? Do we believe in love, magic, miracles, or do we only believe what we see or know to be cold hard facts? Even then can't our eyes or mind play tricks on us?

How long did you believe in Santa Claus and eight mutated reindeer, a giant egg carrying rabbit, a women obsessed with children's teeth?

I find it difficult to believe anything with certainty because I've lived long enough to know that my beliefs can constantly shift, my emotions alter, people continually disappoint me, people continually inspire me.

And how often has specific unwavering beliefs caused war, genocide, inequality, or simple misunderstanding.

I used to believe that if people knew certain things about me they would judge me or look at me differently. Then I relaxed, let go, and found more often a kindred spirit, a similar soul or an open minded genuine heart. Those are the people that inspire me. The ones that react with judgement, disapproval or negativity are the people who disappoint me and I choose to not waste energy on.

So what do you believe? What do you know to be true? Do your beliefs open you to others or close you off? How have those same ideals shifted over a year, five, ten or twenty?

"I don't believe you have to be better than everyone else. I believe you have to be better than you ever thought you could be."
~Ken Venturi















No comments:

Post a Comment