Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Scarves or Chainsaws

"Most of us have trouble juggling. The women who says she doesn't I admire but have never met."
~Barbara Walters

Be careful what you wish for....

I've learned that lesson over and over in my life (I'm slow sometimes). I recently wished for a chance to catch up on a few things. Having just moved, working a full time job plus part time coaching, three children and a slightly mentally challenged dog (pretty sure her parents were related), life gets to be a bit overwhelming at times.

So I wished for time....and here I sit after picking up a sick child from school with the time for a blog. Of course the call came right when a nice size project landed on my desk. Timing is everything.

So the working mom's daily juggle. Sometimes it's fluffy, pretty scarves. Then there are days of flaming torches or running chainsaws. It can be as simple as getting home, doing a few things, making dinner and driving to an activity. Or it can be bigger issues that creep out and throw a razor into our scarves. Simple things like appointments become adventures in scheduling and Lord help us if an emergency arises.

Elastigirl in The Incredibles was brilliant. Who as a mom hasn't felt pulled in every direction, catching everything that falls and wrapping up what needs to happen. Of course the fact that Dash is super fast is perfect for boys who never stop (I had two) and a Violet who can disappear when people annoy her or put up a force field (Most teenage girls today have the power of sarcasm-force field complete). Jack-Jack being a constant surprise of abilities is exactly what every parent of a baby believes. Everything from a smile to first steps are viewed as amazing.

So we try to do it all for ourselves and our family. Sometimes not so elegantly, we can get tired, cranky or just plain bitchy. But then something like a few hours to catch up or a blessed three day weekend comes to replace the bowling balls we've been juggling with tennis balls.

So hang in there everyone with tired arms and slowly failing hand-eye coordination-we may drop things now and then but there will always be someone there to throw something else in the mix. Okay....that sounded never-ending. Ah-free time is over. Off to be a chauffeur.

"Settle down, are you kidding? I'm at the top of my game! I'm right up there with the big dogs! Girls-come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so!"
~Elastigirl, The Incredibles

No comments:

Post a Comment