Saturday, October 11, 2014

Promises

"You are, and always have been, my dream."
~Nicholas Sparks-The Notebook

So in true"sharing" nature I'm going to get personal.

One year ago Dan and I promised to be each other's "somebody." We flew to a beautiful island surrounded by family and promised to stay together, love each other and, well, put up with each other forever. We made promises that day that we wrote. I won't share Dan's (not my place) but I very much like what I said that day (I wrote it that afternoon-I do best under pressure).

So if you're interested here it is:

When I think of our beginning I start with that first meeting in the Schiphol airport. I had come out of the wrong door and waited like an idiot for at least 20 minutes, holding an outdated, useless cell phone, until I realized my mistake.

When I found you it was like the air had left your body. My bumbled apologies were ignored as you just grabbed me and held me close. I was found. I was home.

Leaving you that first time was the hardest thing I had ever done. We were that sobbing couple in the airport. I was that runny nose person no one wants to make eye contact with in the passport line. Oh, and the poor man who sat next to me on the plane-I wish I could apologize to him.

Four years later we are finally beginning a life together. It is sure to have new challenges, adventures, and brand new annoyances on both of our parts. So here is what I can promise you....

I promise to help you through sugar highs and lows, even shoving M & M's in your mouth when needed. I'll support whatever happens in the future with this disease we both hate for what it does to you.

I promise to listen to all of your stories even for the fifth or sixth time-except one-and you know which I mean. (Inside family joke)

I promise to celebrate your successes, console your loses and not sweat the small stuff.

I promise to be proud of you for your strength, intelligence, massive good looks and sarcastic nature.

But most of all I promise to be your home as you are mine. To fill it with love, romance and excitement whenever we have the chance.

Because this, us, is home. And as you always say-it's going to be great.


2 comments:

  1. There are a load of things I could say in vows -- about how we are so perfect together, how much fun we have, how easy it is to talk together and how I feel when we kiss.

    In the end, I am a better person with you. Not just happier or stronger, but I am a better person when I am with you. You make me better in every way.

    In trying to write these down before today -- one thing continually pops up though. Even with my poor memory, there is one thing I know I have wanted since we were young together.

    This is that you deserve the best.

    I have always felt that you, more than anyone I have ever known, deserved to laugh, to be happy and free and fulfilled.

    I know this because I know how special you are. You are the most amazing person I’ve ever met.

    In addition to all the wonderful things I feel about us, much more complete and safe, relaxed and loved ..

    .. I feel truly honoured and blessed that you have chosen to be with me. Proud when I hear that are happy with me.

    I can’t imagine anything better.

    So, vows,

    .. besides the honor, love and forsaking, sickness and health bits, for good or for worse -- which I vow,

    I vow to you my devotion, my support and my creativity,
    commitment to our continuing life changes towards each other,
    some attempts at humor, and a fair bit of excitement,

    But most of all,
    I vow to do anything I can to help you be happy.

    It is my favourite thing.

    ReplyDelete