Saturday, January 3, 2015

Imperfect Yet Perfect

"I have a memory like an elephant. In fact, elephants often consult me."
~Noel Coward

Today is de-Christmas day. Time to take all of the various knick knacks you only see one month out of every year and put them back in their cubby space.

Un-decorating the tree is usually my job and I'm okay with that. I don't always see what my kids choose to put up until I reorganize their boxes and start bubble wrapping. Every year they pick different memories out of that box and leave others behind. Drew's past train obsession, Ethan's elephants, Lily's love of any animal ornament all made the cut. Many "babies first/second/third Christmas ornaments that their great grandmother used to get them left wrapped and untouched.

And new memories added to the tree; Disney cruise ship, a skunk, some special picture ornaments, a Christmas pickle, a piece of wood from Dan's childhood home.

The kids don't get that option any more with their dad and it makes them a bit sad. The tree there has to have designer balls that all match a color scheme. So their boxes of Christmas memories sit untouched.

I'd rather have a tree full of memories in all of it's random glory. Just like I like to have a life full of memories, of travel, adventure, activities and time spent with the people I love.

So I'm not begrudging you the perfect tree with the matching color scheme balls and lights. I like my life to be a bit more unorganized, messy and (like our tree this year) imperfect. That sounds fun, exciting and new every time you look at it. That kind of tree has you noticing something you missed in every section.

That kind of tree is full of memories.

"Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes by you so quickly you hardly catch it going."
~Tennessee Williams


No comments:

Post a Comment