Monday, January 26, 2015

Thanks for Showing Up

"What winning is to me is not giving up, is no matter what is thrown at me, I can take it. And I can keep going."
~Patrick Swayze

Winning. So many definitions of this word. As an award or accomplishment, an attribute or a noun.

My daughter recently came home very excited because she won second place in a writing competition. Her words were: "I finally won something that wasn't just for showing up."

We see that in our kid's activities today right? They get awards for participation in soccer, gymnastics, or whatever they are into as younger kids. We don't let them ever think they are worse or better than another child if at all possible. We treat their egos like egg shells, afraid they may feel inadequate and crumble.

We celebrate when they "graduate" from preschool, kindergarten, elementary school and then middle school. What makes High School and College special?

I guess I wonder what kind of adults we're creating. When they don't get constant accolades for just showing up at their job will they lose motivation and get frustrated?

And what as adults do we feel is winning? Is it the big house, the "perfect" children/marriage, the dream job?

Or can winning be defined as making a difference in someone's life, showing kindness to a stranger, giving to those closest to us the time and attention they need, or simply ending every day knowing you participated, showed up, and went above and beyond what was expected of you for absolutely no other purpose but work ethic and a sense of accomplishment.

We all have our own version of winning (think Charlie Sheen). Some noble some not so much. What needs to happen in our lives to get us there is personal.

So what do you want to win?

How soon can you start trying?

"It always seems impossible until it's done."
~Nelson Mandela



1 comment:

  1. I want to win the day by staying motivated each and every day. It's been a challenge that I'm struggling through lately. I have this post-it note on my mirror that says, "Get up, dress up, and show up." These days, it's been a huge reminder....

    ReplyDelete