Monday, March 2, 2015

Kids-What Are They Good For?

"Before I got married I had six theories about raising children; now, I have six children and no theories."
~John Wilmont

The constant guessing game of raising children. I would say there are no instruction books but that's not true. Just go to your local parenting section at Barnes & Nobles and you'll find a book on all of life's parenting questions. That would be great if all children were the same mold, all situations exact and all personalities fitting into a correct box.

As is the case in my life I tend to always have a child testing my parenting patience, pushing me to do the frustrated head bang against the wall in hopes that if nothing else a concussion will make me forget I'm a mom. And then there is wine.

My kids are great kids but there is always a challenge. Last year at this time it was my oldest and his lack of direction. Now he's thriving both in school and his job. So issues do pass. But during the troubles it feels like a hamster wheel of insanity.

Of course the frustration sometimes spills over to my ex-husband who can't parent unless the stars are in alignment and not one tiny thing is inconvenient. Those of you who parent in the real world understand how often he sees his kids then. Not that it's a problem, they choose to be with me anyway. But it can feel unfair during the stressful periods.

But despite it all there is always the love, laughter and rewards of their humor, kind hearts and ability to rebound. We make memories on travel adventures or finding crazy things to do on the home front. We laugh a lot (thanks a great deal to their amazing step-dad) and talk about everything. We share a lot of love.

So I take a deep breath and prepare for another week and the challenges to come. But as with my oldest who I rarely see due to his schedule I'll miss (some of) this someday.

Next up-teenage girl years. That reminds me, I'm out of wine.

"Having children is like living in a frat house - nobody sleeps, everything's broken, and their's a lot of throwing up."
~Ray Romano

"Parent's can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands."
~Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment