Friday, March 13, 2015

Out of Focus

"My most important piece of advice to all you would-be writers: When you write, try to leave out all the parts readers skip."
~Elmore Leonard, Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing

Stay on task. Focus. Stop getting distracted. Things I tell my son every day after school when it comes to homework. What he doesn't know is that I'm just as guilty.

Writing is hard. Unless you find yourself on a complete role (happens on occasion) trying to pound out chapters of a story can be as motivating as teaching my dog to play checkers. It would make an awesome Youtube video but the chances of it actually happening feel like it's not worth trying.

And then there's the distractions! Facebook, email, Trivia Crack, the dishwasher is beeping, the dog needs a walk, oh look-a new recipe on Pinterest. That looks good. Maybe I should run to the grocery store. Look at the dustballs in the corners. I better vacuum. What was I doing again?

So I think to get this done I need to get out of my element. Be one of those coffee shop people on their laptops for a few hours whenever I can. Maybe make a deal with the waiter/waitress to nudge me if they notice my mind drifting or playing on my phone.

That's what I do with my son. I take his phone and often sit behind him while he works so he can't switch to a computer game. He needs someone to be accountable to in the moment.

That's often my job as a coach. As adults many things in our lives we simply have to get done for ourselves only. In our jobs we probably have a boss, a work ethic and hopefully a sense of accomplishment. But in our personal lives if we go for a run, order the salad over the triple cheeseburger, clean that drain that seems backed up or tackle that home repair that may take our entire weekend is our decision. And it's easy to put it off.

So I'm going to put some of my coaching practices into play for myself and see if I can stay focused. You may see me around Lancaster trying out different places to hide from, well, me.

Just please, I beg of you, DO NOT give me the WIFI password!

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."
~Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath



1 comment:

  1. I can completely relate to the lack of focus, distractions, and staying on task. If the work involves a client, I'm completely on task. However, when it does not, there are times when I am not as disciplined, and struggle like crazy!

    ReplyDelete