Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Training Wheels

"To be environmentally friendly, I'd ride my stationary bike to work. I hope this career works out, because it feels like I'm just spinning my wheels."
~Jarod Kintz, This Book is NOT FOR SALE

The other day we had a taste of spring and like most people, I had to get outside. I took a long walk through the park, passing dog walkers, strolling couples and of course parents with their kids.

One women was desperately trying to encourage her son to "put your feet on the pedals! I promise you'll be fine!"

Training wheels laying to the side the child was whining and pleading, "I don't want to!"

I felt bad for them both.

I understand that fear. That fear that our physical selves are about to be harmed so let's just stop whatever nonsense is leading up to that. I've had to conquer that fear. A few instances are getting on a horse that wants to kill me, jumping in a self defense training ring with someone twice my size, filing for divorce in a bad marriage or traveling to another country to find real love.

We all face that fear on occasion and rarely can we find a pair of training wheels. Sometimes it's a personal motivational speech, a cocktail, or our own cheerleading squad that gives us the push. Other times we may just whine, plant our feet and refuse to touch the pedals.

What are you putting off, afraid to try? What is missing on your checked off bucket list, personal accomplishments or life goals? What do you need to start pedaling towards?

Wether it's a friend, a coach, or simply a plan to begin trying, don't let fear stop whatever you wish for in life. It may be hard, it may be exhausting, it may even hurt, but if in the end you achieved something you've long put off then it was worth the struggle.

Take off your training wheels and go somewhere.

"Chances don't approach you,
It's you who approach chances."
~Toba Beta, Master of Stupidity







No comments:

Post a Comment