Sunday, July 19, 2015

Perfectly Not Perfect

"My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library."
~Peter Golkin

If you could design your perfect day what would it be? If nothing was impossible, you could speak with someone who has passed or do something incredible that you would have never thought possible? Or you could ride a bike to the library?

My daughter's perfect day would include a great new book series and a comfortable chair. My son would pick an awesome new video game and my husband would pick golfing with his great friends in Spain like he used to. Speculating on all three of course.

My perfect day would include a ride on my old horse (now passed) William. As I'm back to looking at horses I was discussing this great fellow that I rode the better part of 12 years. Here's the amazing thing: I never once fell off of him. For those of you in the horse world, a gasp was just let out. Twelve years of jumping crazy things and not one fall. I can't say that about any other horse I've ever owned.

But he was far from perfect. He had a funny jump to the right, only got 50% of his lead changes and had a strange back issue that would make him "flip-flop" on occasion. But he was safe, sound and sweet.

And nothing is perfect right? There is no perfect child, spouse, dog, vacation, home....etc. Everything comes with it's headaches, heartaches, and hassles. It's how you handle it that defines you. You can obsess, worry, overthink and discuss until your ears bleed or you can take things as they come, with grace and poise, and conquer one by one without losing hope.

I try to do the latter. I'm a private overthinker but a public "let's not discuss it until we have to" kind of person. And I can often revel in the imperfections. Imperfections are what keep our lives interesting. Don't get me wrong, sometimes they just completely SUCK (as we get ready to dump a small fortune into new siding for our house or the retirement of a great horse who will forever hold a piece of my heart). But if we all were Stepford people with Stepford lives we would all crave something to shake things up (I suggest you watch or rewatch the movie Pleasantville-classic and super funny).

So what would your perfect day be?

"Too late, I found that you can't wait to become perfect, you got to go out and fall down and get up with everyone else."
~Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked this Way Comes

No comments:

Post a Comment