Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Gratitude and Regrets

"Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "It might have been."
~Kurt Vonnegut

Regrets, we all have them. Chances we never took, paths we never followed or mistakes that haunt us months, years or decades later. Can we avoid future regrets?

I recently read an article about the top ten regrets people have right before they die. Most focused on not loving enough or not following a dream. I absolutely related. If I were to die tomorrow I would worry that I haven't been loving my family enough. I would also regret never finishing a book. So I've been actively working on my book but that has distracted me from my family. Must multitask better.

Past regrets include not following career paths or staying in a bad relationship a decade too long. And we can wallow in regrets every day until our eyes bleed in disgust. That doesn't help anyone.

So try to find everything in your life, your day, your hour, that you can be thankful for and appreciate.

I'm grateful for:

My fury writing partner that sits next to me in my office.

The veggies I picked in my garden.

My daughter figuring out how to put in contacts.

A lovely young mare to work with for the next many years.

An amazing husband who makes me laugh every day.

My son when he's activated.

The view from my deck.

Fantastic friends.

Modern medicine that fights cancer.

My Mac.

Itunes.

Being able to run.

Air conditioning.

Wine.

What are you grateful for? I dare you to make your own list and even share it below. Or find one thing every day and post, Tweet or simply keep a journal.

"Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude."
~A.A. Miln, Winnie-The-Pooh







No comments:

Post a Comment