Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Beyond You

"Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."
~Rumi

My family did a collective facepalm last night when I ended dinner by pulling out a mason jar full of rolled up pieces of paper. Looks of complete fear and utter dismay displayed as the questions began.

"What is this?'

"What are you going to make us do?"

"Where did you get this idea?"

This idea, strangely enough, came from my coaching clients. I often give them a challenge for the week between sessions. I started to think about my own life and how I should have a weekly challenge as well. Something to shake things up a bit and get me out of my own head, thinking outside of the normal.

Of course my family could use this also (insert heavy sigh from said family) as they are all in their bubble of school stress, work stress and, well, fill in the blank stress. What if one day a week, I picked Tuesday as it is a non-activity night, we picked a weekly challenge and the following week you report how it went and pick a new one. Seems easy.

My daughter had a fear of horrible challenges like "go for a run every day" or "clean the house," but I explained it was mostly small things that, on occasion, she might already do. For example, her challenge is to exercise three times during the week, easy since she'll have a riding lesson, gymnastics and currently has gym class.

My task is to compliment someone every day for a week (preferably not the same person). If I see something I like this week that you are doing or wearing expect a shout out!

Other examples are to read a book, plan and make dinner one night, do something nice for someone else every day, try a new food or retry one you previously disliked, make a plan with a friend. There is quite a few in the jar with an extra jar to put the completed ones in. They can be recycled at the end. Chances are you won't pick the same one the second time around.

My family is reluctantly going along with it and we'll see if anything positive comes about. My purpose is to get everyone out of their own world a bit if only briefly each week.

Then we can go back to being the center of the universe.

"The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature."
~Joseph Campbell, A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living






2 comments: