Monday, September 28, 2015

Does Time Heal All Wounds?

"The human heart has a way of making itself large again even after it's been broken into a million pieces."
~Robert James Waller, The Bridges of Madison County

I've taken on the huge task of writing a book. It's been over a year of writing, reading, adding, editing, rethinking and the occasional panic attacks surrounding the content. It very well may never be published but just within the process I've had a lot of time to digest some ideas in a new way.

Time heals all wounds.

That idea I'm ready to call bullshit on. If you've been hurt by someone, truly hurt to the point of desperation, time will never make that hurt go away. Wounds of the heart or soul never heal completely. Time, forgiveness, joy, these can all put a stitch, close it up little by little, but as long as you still have the capacity to feel you'll still have a level of hurt.

I'm not just talking about personal pain. I do have many cuts in my heart that I know will always cause me sadness. But I've hurt people I love and I wish the time=healing equation were absolutely correct. I know I will always have to own that hurt. I will always be in charge of adding a stitch through love, laughter and happiness whenever possible. When those things are absent I may see the pain again.

We are human; flawed, beautiful, and fragile. We love deeply, hurt intentionally or by accident, and bleed.

My hope is to continually try to create so much love and joy that the cuts don't have a chance to bleed, only throb in a quiet moment. It seems like a noble purpose. That's all we can do with our pain or the pain we cause others, be better. Learn from it and be better.

Time doesn't heal all wounds. Even decades later a truly horrible moment can feel like a yesterday occurrence. Ask any soldier that has seen real war. Our battle scars are there for a reason. They show us our flaws, our mistakes, or our painful memories. What we do with them, how we add our stitch, can either make us stronger or defeat us.

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it, or.....learn from it."
~Rafiki, The Lion King




No comments:

Post a Comment