Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Hatred

"I have decided to stick to love....Hate is too great a burden to bear."
~Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm extremely sad by the hate our country has embraced. The pictures, memes, videos and unchecked statistics that now plague social media sickens me.

Those that know me can attest that I don't offend easily. Growing up sarcasm was my second language. But there is a difference between offensive and damaging.

Hatred for a culture or group of people based on fear and minimal knowledge makes us no better than any other bigoted, cruel, and small-minded group in our history.

I remember after 9/11 a woman who was like a member of the family at the time had to stop wearing her head covering in public because she was afraid for her safety. She had to fear her own life because a few people did a horrible act. If we, as Americans, had that same issue every time someone did something evil we would never leave our homes.

I have friends that I dearly love of every race, religion, sexual orientation and ethnic background and when I see HATE towards any of them it makes me ashamed and simply sad. Sad for the person doing it and sad that we can so easily still accept it as just an "opinion" and not what it is, a soft form of violence.

I beg everyone before you post your next anti-whatever post, video with misguided facts, or meme you believe to be innocuous, really look at it, research it, know all of the details, not just the radical information you think might be true. Think about who you know that may be affected by such statements, who will YOU hurt by it. Do you want to be that person?

Are you that person?

"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than it's opposite."
~Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment