Wednesday, January 13, 2016

New Story

"For last year's words belong to last year's language
 And next year's words await another voice.
 And to make an end is to make a beginning."
~T.S. Eliot

January. The month where every gym and diet plan is excessively pushing to get your business. A month when resolutions are made and changes, goals, and motivation drive us. Forbes claims that just 8% of New Years resolutions are accomplished. That sounds about right.

But why even make a resolution? You can change your life on any day, in any month of the year. You can start a new story at any time.

I made a decision last year to essentially practice what I preach. I often try to push my clients to try something new, especially if it's outside of their comfort zone. Trying new things can educate, enlighten, and even empower us at times. We may meet new people, experience a different culture, find a new hobby or skill, or at the very least discover something about ourselves.

One recent change I've made is bikram yoga (bikramyogaatbrighton.com) which is hot yoga. I mean HOT. I have a wonderful friend who is the ultimate energizer bunny (except she would carry knitting needles instead of drumsticks). She runs, bikes, takes classes at every gym she can get to and never passes up an opportunity to try something new. She has a friend who just opened an amazing studio that I should surely check out with her.

Why not?

The first class was rough. The second class was better. Every class after that I felt more in tune with what I was doing and more comfortable with the heat. My goal is to gain back the flexibility I had years ago when I taught martial arts. And if you ever thought yoga was too slow or too easy I dare you to join me for a class.

Last year I also took some online classes, finished my book and started training a very large four hooved baby among so many small things I had never experienced. If I can't accomplish my goals how can I expect my clients to have any faith in me? They help me stay motivated every bit as much as I help them.

So write a new story now if you're ready. Fill it with new experiences and adventures. Find things you never even thought of trying. Groupon is a great way to look for such things. Start an instrument, take a class in archery, cooking, art, riding, fencing, knitting, or any of the multitude of things someone can learn how to do. Meet new people and maybe even get to know yourself better.

You might just discover something great.

"New Year - a new chapter, new verse, or just the same old story? Ultimately we write it. The choice is ours."
~Alex Morritt, Impromptu Scribe




No comments:

Post a Comment