Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Center Dammit!

"Don't just do something. Sit there!"
~unknown

Becoming centered. I've never found that comes easily to me. Today as I was supposed to be centering a man was giving a lovely speech on finding the calm within. Or so I'm told. I was thinking about why my ex-husband won't answer simple questions concerning the kids and how, if there is a way, I can change that (not likely).

Years ago when I worked at a big gym I took a few yoga classes and hated how easily distracted I became. I never stuck with it. Now that I'm older and so much wiser (cough cough) it should be easier right?

Yes and no.

I've been doing Bikram (think HOT) at a fantastic new studio in Lititz (bikramyogaatbrighton.com). I think the heat helps me focus because often I'm concentrating on the human water fountain I've become, when I can next sneak a sip of water, or if I'm struggling because of the half of bottle of wine I drank the night before. Okay, maybe a full bottle. Don't judge me.

So it's going better. But I'd like to find that calm, peace, and meditative state at the end that others seem to accomplish. My brain tends to go right to, "if someone else gets up so will I," and "I wonder if the dog went on the carpet again."

How do you shut out the world? How do you patronus away the Dementors that suck the joy out of your brain and make you stress instead of relaxing?

I'm still working on it. I catch a glimpse of calm on rare occasions.

It could also be that I'm bad at following directions. That's to say I heard them and wasn't making mental to-do lists.

Like pick up wine and pet stain carpet cleaner.

Namaste




No comments:

Post a Comment