Sunday, March 20, 2016

It's a Facebook World

"If you can't stop thinking about someone's update, that's called 'status cling'."
~Jessica Park, Flat-Out Love

It's a Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and hashtag world and I long for the good old days (insert old fart joke here). I long for the days when I had to call or see my friends to catch up. I long for the days when I only knew things about people because it came up in a conversation.

I miss the time when I didn't know political views unless you had a bumper stick. I actually wish the only news I received was by reading the paper or the 5:00 o'clock show. It's scary to me that relationships can be destroyed by a difference of opinion, overreaction or misreading of written text.

I hate that there is such a thing as cyber-bullying and children as well as adults can be ruined with a keystroke. Face to face bullying is bad enough.

That being said, I love how easy it is to reconnect with people you know all over the world. I love finding out about interesting events and great changes in my community. I benefit from free advertising to get my business noticed. I can have several private groups such as a book club or support group and we can easily plan and discuss ideas.

So I sometimes envy the Amish and their lack of connectivity but declaring to join them is a whole different issue. It's like an abusive relationship with the epitome of laughter, love and benefits only to suddenly be hit in the face with a baseball bat once a day.

I'm curious how others view this society we are becoming. Is it a great new world of growth and progress or are we putting ourselves on a path to small destructions either personally or as a whole?

Could you disconnect?

"Can we go back to using Facebook for what it was originally for - looking up exes to see how fat they got?
~Bill Maher

No comments:

Post a Comment