Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Music Therapy

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
~Bob Marley

We all have a soundtrack of our lives. Certain songs will take us to a moment, a memory, or a feeling. They can randomly come up during an iPod shuffle mode or take us by surprise in the produce department at the grocery store.

We turn to music to dance, to sing, or to mourn. We dissect lyrics and attach them to our current state of mind. We look at favorite artists or bands as old friends who just seem to "get" us.

For some, music is a life force. Their existence depends on it. For others, it's simply an occasional presence that can be enjoyable.

I absolutely depend on music to get me through a workout, motivate me to conquer a project, keep me occupied during long weekly drives or help my tears flow when all I need is a good cry to move on. I can't create it like my husband can except in belting out show tunes when alone. But I feel it. I appreciate what it gives to me.

So for the next random amount of time I'm going to periodically share music that has done one of the above things and I invite you to share as well. We may not have the same taste but you never know what will speak to you and why. Maybe we'll come across our next best therapy song.

Maybe we'll find something else that makes our hearts sing, cry, or conquer.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
~Friedrich Nietzsche


No comments:

Post a Comment