Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Why?

"There is always the question why
And there is always life,
Which doesn't need an answer."
~Dejan Stojanovic

Why?

Anyone who has had toddlers can remember the "why" years. Why do dogs bark? Why is the sky blue? Why are you hiding in the bathroom? (Insert 2000 more why questions here)

As a coach, it is one of my favorite questions. When we are struggling with an issue or big decision we sometimes need to take a step back and figure out why it is such a struggle. Why are we scared, confused, intimidated or uncomfortable? How can we change that?

I'm often asked the question of why someone would come to a coach. The possibilities are endless.

Last fall I had a lovely woman in my office to discuss advertising in her publication. She sat down and exclaimed how she didn't understand coaching.

"Do people just come in and start talking?" she asked.

I explained that people usually have a specific issue or goal they are focused on so yes, they tend to come in and start talking.

"That seems so strange to me," she admitted, right before spending the next hour and a half telling me every detail of her life and asking if certain issues could be coachable.

People come in and just start talking. Why?

Because I listen. I listen and think deeply about what it is you are saying and try to find the exact right question to help you discover your answers. Usually, those questions are much more detailed than "why" but sometimes the simplest questions can be the most thought provoking.

Why would people just start talking? Because it's safe. Because I listen. Because they can. Because they need to find the answer. Because.

What is your question?

"There are always answers. We just have to be smart enough."
~John Green, Looking for Alaska

No comments:

Post a Comment